Wednesday, November 01, 2006

 

About Books Inc.

Welcome to About Books Inc. I have decided to give 'blogging' a try since it seems to be the wave of the future (and the current)! I have worked at this book store since 1998 and purchased it from my previous bosses in July of 2005. Following is a bit of information about the store and downtown Bloomington:

About Books Inc. is a used book store in downtown Bloomington, IL that was opened in August, 1994. Bloomington has an historic downtown business district that is currently undergoing lots of renovation and restoration. The business district is vibrant and alive with small shops, restaurants, and bars as well as State Farm Insurance, banks and offices. The old courthouse is home to the McLean County Museum of History and is a beautiful building. The building in which my store is located was built in 1888 by John Y. Chisholm (of the Chisholm Trail fame). I am located across the street from the old Central Fire Station which was built after the 'big fire' of the late 1800s. Central Station is currently a very nice restaurant which has been in business for 30 years. The upper two stories of my building have been undergoing renovation for more than a year. What used to be eight small apartments are now 4 very nice size condominiums, The work is nearly complete which means more peace and quite and lots less dust and dirt for the book store.

I will post periodically as time and inventory allow. If there are interesting items that I acquire or that are brought to me I'll be sure to fill you in on them. I currently have a nature/botanical book in German that survived the Chicago Fire in 1871. The plates are hand colored and very nice. This book has several small notes detailing the history of the book and its survival of the fire. It is nice for its age and ordeal!

Until next time - Keep Reading!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?